The Twilight soundtrack is the official music for the 2008 film Twilight. The score was composed by Carter Burwell, with the rest of the soundtrack chosen by music supervisor Alexandra Patsavas. The Twilight Original Motion Picture Soundtrack album was released on November 4, 2008 by Patsavas’ Chop Shop label, in conjunction with Atlantic Records. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, having sold about 165,000 copies in its first week of release, 29% of which were digital downloads. Twilight: The Score was made available for digital download on November 25, 2008, and the physical CD was released in stores on December 9.
Director Catherine Hardwicke revealed in an interview with MTV that a song by alternative rock band Muse, later revealed to be “Supermassive Black Hole”, would be included on the film’s soundtrack. Hardwicke said that Muse may record a remix of the song to give it “a little bit of extra Twilight stuff to fit the scene”. She also stated that two songs written and performed by Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward, would be included in the film as well. The soundtrack also includes two songs by Paramore, with their new song “Decode” being the soundtrack’s lead single, the debut of a new song by Mute Math from their forthcoming sophomore album, and a new original song for the film by Perry Farrell. “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” by Iron & Wine was chosen for inclusion in the movie by star Kristen Stewart, who plays Bella Swan. Noticeably absent from the soundtrack is “15 Step” by Radiohead, which plays as the movie ends and during the first half of the credits.
The CD booklet on the physical CD folds out into one of four possible Twilight posters. Also, all Hot Topic locations across the United States hosted exclusive Twilight soundtrack listening parties on October 24, a week and a half before the release date, where fans were able to listen to the entire soundtrack. Albums bought at Borders bookstores feature an exclusive acoustic version of Paramore’s “Decode”. Summit Entertainment provided a free remix of “Bella’s Lullaby” through iTunes, with the purchase of a Twilight theatre ticket through online ticket services Fandango or MovieTickets.com.
1. “Supermassive Black Hole” (Muse) – 3:29
2. “Decode” (Paramore) – 4:22
3. “Full Moon” (The Black Ghosts) – 3:50
4. “Leave Out All the Rest” (Linkin Park) – 3:20
5. “Spotlight” (Twilight Mix) (Mute Math) – 3:20
6. “Go All the Way (Into the Twilight)” (Daniel Newman and Perry Farrell) – 3:27
7. “Tremble for My Beloved” (Collective Soul) – 3:53
8. “I Caught Myself” (Paramore) – 3:55
9. “Eyes On Fire” (Blue Foundation) – 5:01
10. “Never Think” (Robert Pattinson) – 4:29
11. “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” (Iron & Wine) – 4:00
12. “Bella’s Lullaby” (Carter Burwell) – 2:19